The cathedral is raised on a tall podium, with its wide stairs leading upwards, as a sign of the world's gradual ascension to the Church on high. The church's bulk has a terraced construction expanding up to its central part, from the extensions to its principal mass, finished with the rounded gable heads, and then upwards, to its five-domed top and the elevated central dome drum.
The cathedral's wall paintings were made by the sisters under the guidance of the painter Pavel Lvovich Parilov from Palekh. Since 1902 he taught icon painting and frescoes at the Seraphim-Diveyevo monastery. The sisters painted the icons as well.