The Refectory Church of Holy Prince St. Alexander Nevsky

The Refectory Church of Holy Prince St. Alexander Nevsky
The southern façade of the Trinity Cathedral, the main facades of the Transfiguration Cathedral and the Refectory Church of Holy Prince St. Alexander Nevsky face the monastery's Cathedral Square.
The southern façade of the Trinity Cathedral, the main facades of the Transfiguration Cathedral and the Refectory Church of Holy Prince St. Alexander Nevsky face the monastery's Cathedral Square.
Father Seraphim prophetically told the Diveyevo sisters that the monastery's main refectory would be built at this location. However, during his lifetime, a village cemetery occupied the area. In 1895, under Hegumenia Maria (Ushakova), a new stone refectory replaced the old one that burnt down on January 21, 1890. Like many contemporary churches in Russia, the refectory church was dedicated to Tsar Alexander II's heavenly patron in memory of the Imperial family's miraculous deliverance during the train accident near Borky rail station on October 17, 1888.
Father Seraphim prophetically told the Diveyevo sisters that the monastery's main refectory would be built at this location. However, during his lifetime, a village cemetery occupied the area. In 1895, under Hegumenia Maria (Ushakova), a new stone refectory replaced the old one that burnt down on January 21, 1890. Like many contemporary churches in Russia, the refectory church was dedicated to Tsar Alexander II's heavenly patron in memory of the Imperial family's miraculous deliverance during the train accident near Borky rail station on October 17, 1888.
The great and beautiful refectory of the Diveyevo monastery gives the impression of stateliness and grandeur. The church, awash in gilded detail, with a magnificent iconostasis, adorns the front part of the refectory.

N. Lender
The great and beautiful refectory of the Diveyevo monastery gives the impression of stateliness and grandeur. The church, awash in gilded detail, with a magnificent iconostasis, adorns the front part of the refectory.

N. Lender
Food was usually delivered to the nuns' quarters whereas the refectory was used mostly on Sundays and during great feasts. Two or three dozens of long tables, set exclusively with the wooden dinnerware, seated everyone from the large all-women monastic community. An icon stand was set up on a podium in the middle of the refectory, and one of the nuns read aloud from the lives of the saints during their meals. The church was usually used for services during winter.
Food was usually delivered to the nuns' quarters whereas the refectory was used mostly on Sundays and during great feasts. Two or three dozens of long tables, set exclusively with the wooden dinnerware, seated everyone from the large all-women monastic community. An icon stand was set up on a podium in the middle of the refectory, and one of the nuns read aloud from the lives of the saints during their meals. The church was usually used for services during winter.
On August 1, 2000, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexiy II attended the celebratory dinner hosted at the renovated refectory church. On November 14/27 2000, the Metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas consecrated the church.
On August 1, 2000, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexiy II attended the celebratory dinner hosted at the renovated refectory church. On November 14/27 2000, the Metropolitan of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas consecrated the church.
Between 2001 and 2002, the church was painted by the Palekh icon-painting studio "Lik." The fresco is more than 1,200 square meters in total size. The fresco on the refectory's western side depicts "The Dormition of the Mother of God" and two frescoes on the eastern side depict venerable saints and Hieromartyrs of Diveyevo. The northern wall is covered by images of the Savior Not Made by Hands, Archangels Michael and Gabriel, while the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky is depicted on the refectory's southern wall. The ceiling vaults are ornamentally decorated and include twenty-five bust-length medallion images of the hierarchs, venerable fathers and martyrs.
Between 2001 and 2002, the church was painted by the Palekh icon-painting studio "Lik." The fresco is more than 1,200 square meters in total size. The fresco on the refectory's western side depicts "The Dormition of the Mother of God" and two frescoes on the eastern side depict venerable saints and Hieromartyrs of Diveyevo. The northern wall is covered by images of the Savior Not Made by Hands, Archangels Michael and Gabriel, while the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky is depicted on the refectory's southern wall. The ceiling vaults are ornamentally decorated and include twenty-five bust-length medallion images of the hierarchs, venerable fathers and martyrs.
Left
Right
Made on
Tilda